The Ajinomoto Post Graduate Scholarship Grant seeks to help deserving Filipino students who require financial assistance to pursue continuing education. This grant gives a full scholarship in a master’s course at specified graduate schools in the sciences. This year aside from the University of Tokyo, scholarship grant may also be applied to Kyoto University, Nagoya University, Ochanomizu University, Waseda University and Kagawa Nutrition University (hereinafter “Universities”).
Applicants to the Ajinomoto Postgraduate Scholarship Grant must meet the following qualifications:
- Must be a Filipino citizen.
- Must have graduated or is expected to graduate with an excellent academic record (with 15 years of education completed or expected to be completed) and must receive the recommendation of his/her university president or academic advisor or be otherwise qualified to enroll in the University.
- Must be under the age of 35 on April 1, 2019.
- In principle, the applicant must be able to obtain approval of acceptance as either a postgraduate international research student (hereinafter “Research Student”) or a graduate school student (master’s course) (hereinafter “Master’s Course Student”) from the University and be registered as a Research Student or a Master’s Course Student for April 2019 or October 2019.
- Must show financial need to pursue higher education.
- Must acquire adequate Japanese language proficiency that is required in order to research and study in a master’s course, when enrolling as a Master’s Course Student.
- Must file an application and attend selection procedures in the Philippines.
- Must be in good physical and mental health and have a strong motivation for learning.
- Must not be receiving other scholarships.
- Must apply from the Philippines and be able to attend selection procedures when necessary.
- Must have a strong sense of nationalism, leadership and motivation.
- ¥150,000 (approximately PHP 66,000) monthly allowance for a maximum of 1 year as a research student at a graduate school
- ¥180,000 (approximately PHP 79,000) monthly allowance for a maximum of 2 years as a master’s course student at a graduate school
- Full coverage of examination, admission and tuition fees
- Full coverage of Japanese language training before going to Japan
- Full coverage of airfare to Japan
- If the recipient enrolls as a research student, scholarship will be provided for a maximum of 3 years (1 year as a research student and maximum of 2 years as a master’s course student). The scholarship will be suspended if the recipient fails to pass the entrance exam for a master’s course within a year after arriving in Japan.
- If the recipient enrolls as a master’s course student, scholarship will be provided for a maximum of 2 years.
For Waseda University, in principle, scholarships will be provided for 2 years studying as a Master’s Course Student.
Number of Students to be Accepted
One (1) student from each of the six (6) countries: Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Vietnam and Russia.
Application details of the Universities
Refer to Appendix 1 (2019_Appendix1) for details.
Deadline of application: March 2, 2018
The scholarship will be suspended or terminated, if any of the following conditions applies to the scholarship recipient, if applicant:
- provides false information on the application forms,
- receives any other scholarship,
- fails to pass the entrance examination to a master’s course within one year after arriving to Japan (applicable to the recipient entering as a Research Student),
- fails to arrive in Japan by the appointed date,
- commits long-term absence due to illness or other health problems, dishonest act and poor academic performance including leaving the school and repeating a school year,
- violates the rules and regulations of the University or Ajinomoto Scholarship Foundation.
Depending on the circumstance/s, the scholarship amount already disbursed may be subject to full or partial payment.
Selection Process and Schedule:
1st screening: Late March – April 2018
The screening will be based on the received documents, such as research activities and study plans, university transcript and the letter of recommendation.
2nd screening: May 2018
The screening for the successful applicants will be based on the following documents:
- Necessary documents required by the graduate school which the applicant wishes to enroll – TOEFL score, etc. [Refer to Appendix 2 (2019_Appendix 2)];
- Certificate of graduation (or graduation letter) or student registration certificate.
Note: An interview will be held for the 2nd selection (in English or in Japanese).
Notification of Results: June 2018
Note: The nominated applicants who pass the 2nd screening must submit all the necessary documents designated by the graduate schools or the Universities they wish to enroll within the application period (refer to Appendix 2). The nominated applicants to enroll in October should pay attention to the application period and the date of issuance of the letter of acceptance, because they differ from those for the April enrollment. Please contact the graduate school you wish enroll for details.