The Ajinomoto Post Graduate Scholarship Grant seeks to help deserving Filipino students who require financial assistance to pursue continuing education. This grant gives a full scholarship in a master’s course at specified graduate schools in the sciences. This year aside from the University of Tokyo, scholarship grant may also be applied to Kyoto University, Nagoya University, Ochanomizu University, Waseda University and Kagawa Nutrition University (hereinafter “Universities”).
Applicants to the Ajinomoto Postgraduate Scholarship Grant must meet the following qualifications:
- Must be a Filipino citizen.
- Must have graduated or is expected to graduate with an excellent academic record (with 15 years of education completed or expected to be completed) and must receive the recommendation of his/her university president or academic advisor or be otherwise qualified to enroll in the University.
- Must be under the age of 35 on April 1, 2020.
- In principle, the applicant must be able to obtain approval of acceptance as either a postgraduate international research student (hereinafter “Research Student”) or a graduate school student (master’s course) (hereinafter “Master’s Course Student”) from the University and be registered as a Research Student or a Master’s Course Student for April 2020 or October 2020.
- Must show financial need to pursue higher education.
- Must acquire adequate Japanese language proficiency that is required in order to research and study in a master’s course, when enrolling as a Master’s Course Student.
- Must file an application and attend selection procedures in the Philippines.
- Must be in good physical and mental health and have a strong motivation for learning.
- Must not be receiving other scholarships.
- Must apply from the Philippines and be able to attend selection procedures when necessary.
- Must have a strong sense of nationalism, leadership and motivation.
- ¥150,000 (approximately PHP 70,500) monthly allowance for a maximum of 1 year as a research student at a graduate school
- ¥180,000 (approximately PHP 84,600) monthly allowance for a maximum of 2 years as a master’s course student at a graduate school/
- Full coverage of examination, admission and tuition fees
- Full coverage of Japanese language training before going to Japan
- Full coverage of airfare to Japan
- If the recipient enrolls as a research student, scholarship will be provided for a maximum of 3 years (1 year as a research student and maximum of 2 years as a master’s course student). The scholarship will be suspended if the recipient fails to pass the entrance exam for a master’s course within a year after arriving in Japan.
- If the recipient enrolls as a master’s course student, scholarship will be provided for a maximum of 2 years.
- For Waseda University, in principle, scholarships will be provided for 2 years studying as a Master’s Course Student.
Number of Students to be Accepted
One (1) student from each of the six (6) countries: Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Vietnam and Russia.
Application details of the Universities
Refer to Appendix 1 (2020_Appendix1) for details.
Deadline of application: March 1, 2019
The scholarship will be suspended or terminated, if any of the following conditions applies to the scholarship recipient, if applicant:
- provides false information on the application forms,
- receives any other scholarship,
- fails to pass the entrance examination to a master’s course within one year after arriving to Japan (applicable to the recipient entering as a Research Student),
- fails to arrive in Japan by the appointed date,
- commits long-term absence due to illness or other health problems, dishonest act and poor academic performance including leaving the school and repeating a school year,
- violates the rules and regulations of the University or Ajinomoto Scholarship Foundation.
Depending on the circumstance/s, the scholarship amount already disbursed may be subject to full or partial payment.
Selection Process and Schedule:
1st screening: Late March – April 2019
The screening will be based on the received documents, such as research activities and study plans, university transcript and the letter of recommendation.
2nd screening: May 2019
The screening for the successful applicants will be based on the following documents:
- Necessary documents required by the graduate school which the applicant wishes to enroll – TOEFL score, etc. [Refer to Appendix 2 (2020_Appendix 2)];
- Certificate of graduation (or graduation letter) or student registration certificate.
Note: An interview will be held for the 2nd selection (in English or in Japanese).
Notification of Results: June 2019
Note: The nominated applicants who pass the 2nd screening must submit all the necessary documents designated by the graduate schools or the Universities they wish to enroll within the application period (refer to Appendix 2). The nominated applicants to enroll in October should pay attention to the application period and the date of issuance of the letter of acceptance because they differ from those for the April enrollment. Please contact the graduate school you wish enroll for details.
- Deadline of application is on March 1, 2019.
- Accomplish the following downloadable forms:
- Application Form 1 (2020_ApplicationForm1) and Form 2 (2020_ApplicationForm2)
- 2020_Field of Study and Study Program
- Recommendation form (by University President or academic adviser)
Note: Additional recommendation letter will also be accepted.
- Financial Assistance Application Form
- Reference: Click here for Guide on How to Accomplish Forms
- Click here to download all required forms.
- Attach the following:
- 3 passport photos, taken within the last 6 months
- Transcript of scholastic record issued by the university and/or graduate school attended (or certified true copy transcript from university if university does not issue copies of transcripts. (Note: For applicants whose transcript of records does not indicate general weighted average, submit a certificate indicating general weighted average.)
- Certified true copy of university/college diploma (Note: For graduating students who cannot provide at the time of application, submit a Certificate of Graduation.)
- Photocopied documents proving Japanese proficiency of the applicant (such as results of JPLT, EJU and other tests provided by Japanese training institutions) when required by the University;
- TOEFL and GRE scores when required by the graduate school which the applicant wishes to enroll.
- If you are currently employed, please submit:
- Latest Income Tax Return of Certificate of Compensation/Tax withheld and
- Latest Certificate of Employment and Compensation indicating annual/monthly salary, bonuses, commissions with signature of authorized company representative
- If you are married, please submit:
- Latest Income Tax Return of Certificate of Compensation/Tax withheld of your spouse and Latest Certificate of Employment of your spouse with signature of authorized company representative (Note: Applicant whose spouse is retired, deceased or unemployed, submit Certificate issued by a local agency, company or government with respective signature/s.)
- If you are currently single and/or unemployed, please submit:
- Latest Income Tax Return of Certificate of Compensation/Tax Withheld and Latest Certificate of Employment of your employed parents or parent. (Note: Applicant whose parent or parents is/are retired, deceased or unemployed, please submit signed Certificate issued by local agency, company or government.)
- For self-employed parents, please submit:
- Business/DTI Permit, detailed description of the business and an income and expenses financial statement of the previous year.
- For parents not filing an ITR, please indicate in the letter the reason for non-filing. Provide certified true copy of Certificate of Non-Filing from Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR).
- If parent/guardian is retired, please submit Retirement and/or Pension Voucher.
- Place all accomplished forms and documents in a long brown envelope and send to:
Ajinomoto Scholarship Secretariat
Public Relations Department
Ajinomoto Philippines Corporation
11th Floor V Corporate Centre
125 L. P. Leviste St. Salcedo Village
Makati City, Philippines
Note: Documents submitted will not be returned under any circumstances.
For inquiries, contact Joyce Mendoza:
Tel Numbers: (02) 895-6081
Direct Line: (02) 558-5942
Email Address: email@example.com
Fax Number: (02) 779-8453